The chords are the building blocks of the song, they give the song the tune and the strumming gives it the rhythm. The first open guitar chords a beginner should learn are: C – A – G – E – D – Am – Em – Dm. With these chords, you can play an endless amount of songs. The open chords are also the starting point and components for the more advanced chords.
The numbers on the dots in the chord diagrams above indicate the finger positioning: 1 = index finger, 2 = middle finger, 3 = ring finger, 4 = pinky.
Here are some tips when you practice these chords:
- Press the strings with tips of your fingers.
- Press them hard enough.
- Make sure your fingers are close to the fret.
- When pressing a string, make sure that it does not touch the other strings.
- Learn to switch between chords.
- Practice playing these chords daily.
Have you tried practicing the basic chords? How did it go?